What is it?
Since 2010, the Scenic City Certification Program has certified 83 Texas cities – including 17 cities in the greater Houston area – that implemented high-quality scenic standards for public roadways and public spaces. The Program provides a proven, highly-regarded tool to Texas cities for assessment, evaluation, and recognition of infrastructure standards.
Any Texas city may apply to the Scenic City Certification Program for an objective, points-based review of existing municipal infrastructure ordinances. Every application receives a score sheet evaluation; cities that score at the upper level and demonstrate a landscaping/tree planting program, on-premise sign regulations and prohibition of new billboards may earn Certified Scenic City status.
The Program is a project of Scenic Texas, Scenic Houston, and 16 statewide organizations.
Benefits of participation include:
- provides expert third-party evaluation of existing standards
- facilitates internal review and analysis of development plans
- serves as a platform to educate citizens on the impact of local regulations
- fosters community character and civic pride
- enhances economic development efforts
Pathway to Certification
2010-2019 Houston Area Certified Cities
West University Place